There are so many little nooks and crannies in our yard…once I start poking around, I find some neat things that I forgot were there.
1. I have wanted a stormwater marsh since last year, and found directions on how to do it, blah blah. Well, we already have one. The pipe that carries the sump pump water off the property is leaking or something, because we now have this nice little marshy area outside the fenceline and it seems that some water-loving plants are colonizing and the grass is dying back. The flying insects love it and hopefully the frogs do, too.
2. Our humble compost pile: Composting works. Last fall, the compost pile was 3 feet high and about 3 feet wide. By wintertime, it was almost completely flat. I like to think that I saved three feet of landfill.
3. Isabelle and checked out the “beer” box, but no takers yet.
4. The weigela is really thinking about blooming. Mom gave me this plant last year, and I haven’t gotten to see it bloom yet. It’s going to be awesome.
5. Isabelle started her own garden last year; strawberries and pumpkins. The pumpkins didn’t survive the drought, but the strawberries hung on. We got two tiny, half-red strawberries last fall, and this year I’m sure we will be getting lots more. The plants look very promising.